The Student News Site of College of the Sequoias

Cuello leads the giants to playoff victory

On Saturday, March 1st, the COS men’s basketball team hosted the 2nd round playoff game of the Central Valley Championship tournament against Santa Rosa Community College. The Giants finished their season as the number 3 seed of the CVC standings, which earned them a first-round bye.

It was a cold afternoon at Porter Field Stadium at COS, but the COS students still showed up to support their fellow classmates on the men’s basketball team.

The Giants started the quarter strong, going on a 10-0 run in the first 4:30 of the half. #00 Alex Argandar stole the ball to make an electric lay-up that brought the fans to their feet. The momentum began for the Giants right after as #10 Jose Cuello hit back-to-back 3-pointers and a huge lay-up to put the Giants up 22-6 at the 10:40 mark of the first quarter.

The loud noise from the crowd brought a home-court advantage that the Giants used to maintain an early lead for the rest of the game. #10 Cuello fed off the crowd and hit some major three-pointers to close the first half.

Cuello ended the game with 31 points, 5 offensive rebounds, 5 defensive rebounds, 4-4 in free throws, and played for 31 minutes. All these statistics could not have happened without the help of his teammates, as #00 Argandar finished the game with 6 rebounds, 8 assists, and 7 points. #23 Jaylon Lee finished with 11 offensive rebounds, 6 defensive rebounds, and 10 points.

The Giants cruised the rest of the game and won 77-56 to advance to the next round of the playoffs.

The Giants are set to face Redwood College on Saturday, March 9, 2024. For more information, follow the College of the Sequoias