The Student News Site of College of the Sequoias

Giants face second conference loss

The College of Sequoias Men’s baseball team welcomed Fresno City College for game two of their three-game series Thursday afternoon. This was the Giants’ official conference league home opener. Unfortunately, the Rams took home the win 7-5.

The Giants wasted no time getting a lead on the Rams. In the bottom of the first, Giants Isaiah Munoz doubled with an RBI getting the Giants first on the board. Wasting no time behind him Giants Diego Sanchez singled to bring in two runners. Giants held the three-run lead for a full inning.

The Rams clapped back in the top of the third with a sacrifice RBI and a 2-run home run. The Giants were unable to take back their lead in the bottom of the third but held off the Rams from putting up any runs in the top of the four.

In the bottom of the fourth, Giants Daniel Coronado singled to bring in Giants Nick Senn. The Giants had a one-run lead, 4-3.

Again, the Rams came back and took the lead on a 2 RBI double, Rams now lead 5-4 in the top of the 5th. This lead caused the Giants to take out starting pitcher, Keine Prendez, and bring out Giants Nicholas Morrelli. The Rams made a few running errors, but a runner stole home despite the errors. The Giants were down by 2 runs.

In the bottom of the 6th, Giants Senn, Noe Salazar, and Coronado singled to fill the bases. Giants Jesse Ortega took one for the team getting hit by a pitch to bring Giants Senn home. However, the Giants ended the inning with three runners stranded on base.

While the Giants were down by one run, the Rams scored one more time before the game was over.

Although the Giants were handed the loss again this week against the Rams, they put up a great fight only being down a run or two throughout the entire game.

For all upcoming men’s baseball games and other sporting events at COS, go to https://cosgiants.com/landing/index