The Student News Site of College of the Sequoias

COS Giants fall short on conference opener

Taken from the COS Athletics Facebook page

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon at the COS Sequoias Stadium. Crowds of supporters and peers rallied together before the game for some tailgate fun.

This week, our COS football team faced off at home against their conference rivals, Fresno City College. The Giants came into this game fresh off their bye week and with a strong 3-game winning streak.

This game was the start of the race for the conference title, and it sure lived up to anticipation. Fresno drew first blood, as COS QB Rielly Garcia threw an interception that resulted in a Ram touchdown.

The defense for the Sequoias had their work cut out for them, and set up a defensive stand, sacking Rams QB Alex Trujillo twice in the first quarter. The Giants rebutted and attacked the Ram’s defense in the run game, as RB John Friend pushed the Giants downfield. On the front lines, the offensive linemen set the crucial protection for Garcia to find Friend for a 12-yard touchdown pass.

There was still a ton of fight left for our Giants. The defense sent the message that they would not quit and had a big play toward the end of the 2nd quarter. Defensive lineman Taaj Andrews paid dividends and blocked a field goal attempt to stop the Ram’s march down the field.

However, the Fresno City Rams had the upper hand during the second quarter, scoring twice and putting a wedge on the scoreboard. The Giants fought for the rest of the game, trailing the Rams.

The Giants were forced to make some big plays in an attempt to tie the game. In dramatic fashion, the Giants held on as the punt team forced a fumble which was recovered by the Giants to run in for a touchdown. Successfully attempting a 2-point conversion to tie the game.

In the end, the Fresno City College Rams came out victorious 31-28 leaving the Giants with a 3-3 overall record and a 0-1 start in their conference matchups.

Up next for the Giants are two away games against Reedley College and Sacramento City. For more information on scheduling and results, go to https://cosgiants.com/sports/fball/index