The Student News Site of College of the Sequoias

Get your eats at Alta Peak

Bennett Reser Guerra

The college cafeteria transcends being merely a dining spot; it stands as a vibrant hub of campus life. With COS students enjoying a generous 50% discount on snacks and food, Alta Peak has become the go-to place. This week, I had the opportunity to engage with some cafeteria workers and immerse myself in the dynamic atmosphere at Alta Peak.

Alexie Villegas, an employee at the Giant Grill, details what it’s like to work at one of the busiest places on campus. Villegas shared that the pace picks up notably between 12 to 1:30 p.m., coinciding with high schoolers joining for lunch and the majority of students being on campus. Villegas said that right before the peak lunchtime hours, they “lock-in, prep food, and get ready to serve”.

Intrigued by the dietary options available for students, I discovered that food employees craft a special delight known as the veggie burger. This unique creation features its own veggie sauce and veggie cheese, earning popularity among students. For breakfast enthusiasts, the french toast takes the spotlight – a delicious and affordably priced favorite. The spicy chicken sandwich claims its throne as the most sought-after lunch item. They also have extra condiments to enhance the tastes found at Alta Peak.

During my exploration, I also had the chance to chat with Andrea Sanchez and Tobin Lewis about their teamwork. They revealed that their synergy revolves around designated roles,

with someone handling restocking, another preparing the food, one cooking, and one serving. Together, they form a well-coordinated team that enhances the overall dining experience at Alta Peak.

Alta Peak’s cafeteria is not just a place to eat, but a buzzing center of campus life. They’ve got cool food like the veggie burger, amazing French toast for breakfast, and a super popular spicy chicken sandwich for lunch. The team is always mixing things up by adding or removing items from the menu every semester to keep things exciting. Alta Peak is not just about food; it’s a great place to study and a lively part of the campus where everyone feels welcome and never goes hungry.