The Campus Will Be Back Aug 12th 2019

Skyler Singsouvanny

Drawing by Andrew Turner for The Campus Journal

The Campus Journal will be taking a short break during the summer as most staff will be on break. The Campus Journal will be back August 12th for the 2019-2020 year.

Have you thought about taking Journalism?

The nation’s founders put freedom of the press and freedom of speech together in the First Amendment to the U.S. constitution. They are the foundational building blocks of of individual liberty and necessary to our system of checks and balances.

Forget about “fake news,” you’ll learn to engage in research, writing and people skills. But it’s not all writing and interviewing. Modern news-gathering includes social media, marketing, hosting forums, podcasting, and live-streaming events. Whether in print; online; or on film, the publishing of student news creates purpose, vision, and a sense of accomplishment. Work behind the scenes or in front of a camera.

As a member of the student press, you will be more informed, gain self-motivation, be a better thinker and a stronger communicator. A study by the Newspaper Association of America points out that students with previous journalism experience perform better on standardized tests, make higher GPA’s, and earn higher grades.

For the future, journalism fits prominently in a portfolio, improves workplace skills, teaches how to handle sensitive topics, enforces time management and deadlines and encourages collaboration, leadership, and analytical thinking.

What does it take?

A willingness to tell stories, not be afraid to work under a little pressure, double-check facts, be curious and the easiest…just sign up.

Join The Campus Journal Today.

Sign Up for Editorial Board (Jour 114 {2 Units}) [Tues & Thurs 12:10PM to 1:00PM]

OR Media Practicum I (Jour 130 {4 Units}) [Mon & Wed 11:10AM to 12:00PM]