The Student News Site of College of the Sequoias

Ribbon cutting marks new resource for students

The Grand Opening of our very own Giant Marketplace took place on October 25th at the corner of Mooney and Meadow Ave. As students are struggling to make it with the cost of living and college expenses, it is great to know our college cares about our health and well-being. This new building offers free groceries that students can pick out themselves to make meals! 

The way it works is the students will need to fill out a form on the COS website (https://www.cos.edu/en-us/student-life/health-services/giant-marketplace) to request access to these services. Once approved, walk in and visit the kiosk where students will enter their student identification number. Once this is complete, “they will have the ability to make at least a meal or two out of their 10 to 18 items” from the Marketplace. The food items range from the freezer, frigidaire, and dry goods. 

Miriam Sallam is the Director of Foster Care Education and Basic Support of the Visalia Giant Marketplace. She shares how “we’re anticipating” the icon for the Marketplace to be “on their My Giant by November 1st.” This will make it easier to get started with the program online directly through the student portal. 

Those who come in will also have a chance to learn about other resources that they might need. Miriam explained the Marketplace program is here for all students and that not only need help with food but also housing. This new facility has a basic needs coordinator, Carolyn Franco, who will help students get set up with housing options and other things while being a student at COS.

Miriam also shared how the Marketplace is just the beginning of what is to come with supportive services for students. It’s great to hear how COS is expanding the resources we need to be successful as students. 

The products available in the new COS Marketplace are on a donation basis. Anyone who would like to contribute can go to https://www.cos.edu/en-us/administration/foundation.