The Student News Site of College of the Sequoias

COS Softball Finishes Season Strong

The COS Giants softball team have now finished their 2023/2024 season. The Giants played 38 total games and finished 30-8 overall, with a 15-3 conference record. Through challenging work on and off the field, the Giants pulled away with the number one position in their division.

The Giants’ performances in March and April allowed them to beat out conference rivals Fresno City College for the number one spot in the CVC Softball Standings. With their successful closeout victories, the Giants also earned themselves the 3CFCA Coaches Poll 16th ranking.

In their 19-game run, the Giants walked away with 16 crucial victories with great individual performances. As a team, they finished in the 11th ranking for “Hitting.” With 338 hits, 183 RBI’s, 59 strikeouts, 83 walks, and averaging .366. They placed 4th overall in the “Fielding” rankings, with an average of .976 and a total of 720 put outs. The Giants saw great individual performances for different players within their conference division.

#5 Emily Ibarra’s offensive performance earned her the top hitting ranking, playing 38 games, .469 average, 2 home runs, 29 RBI’s, 40 runs scored, and 11 stolen bases.

#9 Isela Villareal was on the 4th place hitting ranking with 38 games played, .384 average, 21 RBI’s, 31 runs scored, and 4 stolen bases.

#00 Grace Chojnacki ranked 1st overall in their conference rankings. With an average of .330, 2 home runs, 29 RBI’s, 11 runs scored, 10 wins when pitching, and 83 strikeouts.

It was the total team effort for The Giants that helped them sneak away with the top seed in their conference.

To keep up with the Giants’ postseason, follow https://cosgiants.com/landing/index