[Trailer Review] Sonic The Hedgehog Movie is going to suck and we’re all going to see it

Eric Galan, News and Opinion Editor

In 1991 “Sonic The Hedgehog,” a blue hedgehog with a need for speed, sped on to the Sega Genesis console. With his bad ’90s attitude and colorful world Sonic joined the ranks of “Street Fighter II,” “Super Mario World,” and “Final Fantasy IV” as one of the best video games of 1991 and history. And now, with the release of the first trailer for his new movie, Sonic looks to be joining the ranks of “Hop”, “The Smurfs”, and “Alvin and the Chipmunks” as some of the worst CGI animated/live action movies of all time.

Paramount released the first trailer on their YouTube channel on April 30 and was greeted with an almost unanimous shouting of “no” from fans and movie viewers alike. The trailer features an ugly hyper-realistic CG hedgehog that resembles the video game character in name only. While the design is being fixed by Paramount it is nothing more than putting new paint on a broken down car and expecting it to run.

Sonic, played by Ben Schwartz, will team up with a human named Tom, played by James Marsden, to stop the evil Dr. Robotnik, played by Jim Carrey, from taking over the world (of course!). While not too much of a deviation from the video games, the plot is also very similar to another James Marsden film, “Hop” which has a 25% on Rotten Tomatoes.

As for characters in the trailer Sonic walks the fine line between 90’s bad boy and 90’s bland corporate bad boy, Marsden will be playing his usual kids movie protagonist self, and Carrey, while a fan favorite right now, is showing the signs of being too annoying and, God forbid, too cartoony for a movie about a fast blue hedgehog.

And despite all the bad CGI, bad casting, and similarities to other bad movies there’s still a craving to go see it. There’s a little voice saying “Yeah it’s bad. But how bad is it going to be?” And we’re all a little curious. Is it going to be “The Room” bad? Is it going to be “Hop” dull? Is it going to surprise us and be “Into The Spider Verse” good? How bad will Jim Carrey’s back be after carrying this movie? All of these are still up in the air until the movie comes out and we all see with our open hearts what the studios have lived but not learned.