The Student News Site of College of the Sequoias

College of the Sequoias’ five-year construction plan

As seen around campus, there is always construction going on. With the newly finished Education Support services building and Sequoias Stadium on the Visalia Campus, there are questions as to whether or not this construction will take place on the other campuses COS offers.

According to documents on the COS.edu website, a few drafts have been written and approved for a 2023-2027 five-year plan(previously 2022- 2026) which consists of a few new expansions, buildings, and some modernization. The new additions are as follows: The completed “Education Support Service Building” finished construction this year and is fully accessible to the public. It is located on the southeast side of the Visalia campus which is easily detectable by its sleek new look.

Tulare’s next project is titled “Tulare Center Phase II, Academic Buildings”. The campus should have started construction on “new lab buildings…to accommodate vocational programs.” The plan is to finish the construction of the new buildings by the summer of 2024.

Hanford is also receiving plans for a new Science building that is expected to start around 2025 or 2026 and most likely finish in 2027. The project will cost around $38,800,000, including the cost of construction but is pending state funds.

Lastly, the Visalia campus receives extra love as the Performing Arts department will receive an updated building. The College of Sequoias plans to “modernize and expand Sawtooth and Ponderosa” would include a second-story addition to the theatre. This plan to expand COS’s performing arts will cost around $33,000,000, including the cost of construction, and is also awaiting state funds.

Most of the buildings on COS were built during the 50s and 60s and now would be a great time for an upgrade. All of these projects will cost COS and the State of California a pretty penny, but many students would agree that these changes would allow all COS campuses to expand and garner more students which is a win for all.