Meet Mike Tackett

Michael Tackett

The definition of a good teacher is defined by many as one who connects with their students as a teacher while also displaying a charismatic and amicable attitude. Michael Tackett is the Director of Instrumental Music here at COS, and he fits that definition well.

Tackett keeps the music constantly flowing on campus working as the music director for the COS symphonic band, jazz orchestra, symphony orchestra, community band, and the musical theater orchestra.

“My biggest role is putting together these ensembles, rehearsing with them, and then performing concerts,” said Tackett about his duties here on campus. He’s also responsible for putting together the applied music program for all music majors by getting them in touch with private teachers, organizing Masterclasses for their instruments, and preparing them for recitals.

Prior to joining the COS family, Tackett was the director of bands and orchestras at El Diamante High School for a solid 10 years and even kicked a gig working down in Moreno Valley teaching music.

Music had always been a part of Tacketts interest, influencing his career path.

“I played in ensembles and sang in choirs in highschool, and I loved it. I didn’t really think about going into music until my senior year of high school.” stated Tackett.

“I kind of knew I was going to graduate and go into college and I went ‘Man, I’m really gonna miss this music thing. Maybe I’ll just major in music!’”

When asked what he enjoys most about his job, Tackett said that two things stood out to him the most,

“I love working with the students. Just getting to see their growth as musicians throughout time and getting to know them and see what beautiful people they are. That as well as doing performances and making music for audience members who can enjoy that music and take something from it.”

Tackett expresses his interest and passion in ensuring his students make it to their aspiring future, doing everything he can to help them along the way.

Fun fact: Mr. Tackett is a fan of all kinds of music, but he finds himself listening to a decent amount of Christian radio.

You can catch the COS community band and choir on Tuesday April 5th at the COS theater, with an upcoming performance given by the COS Symphony Orchestra happening Thursday April 7th at the Hanford Fox Theater (both performances starting at 7:30).