COS Students Reflect Months After the First Shut Down

Many students have each reacted differently to the first shutdown

Last March, the first email from COS was issued to students stating that the campus would shut down for two weeks. Two weeks extended to even longer than many speculated it would. Now, months have passed, and COS is back in the spring semester while still under quarantine.

Many students have each reacted differently to the first shutdown, such as Sarah Serrato and Arwen Finney.

“I have always learned a lot better in-person. Classes were also 90% of my social interactions at that point, and it was being taken away, along with an environment that fostered a good GPA. I understood why, but it was very depressing.” – Arwen Finney.

As for Serrato, she states that she was delighted that classes were switching to online. “No more in-person classes. I don’t have to wake up for my classes anymore.”

Amongst the two, Daniel Celaya, a student at COS, stated he was unsurprised as he claimed COS shutting down was inevitable. The three all have many things in common with other COS students. Their schedules changed drastically.

Celaya had a busy schedule before the pandemic. His hobbies consisted of academic and being active outside, but his schedule has become more limited ever since quarantine.

“I’m unable to go out as much save for a few key locations like the gym, friends house, and church.” – Celaya.

Finney’s schedule consisted of attending COS classes full time, four days a week, and spending a lot of time on campus but now consists of staying at home unless he needs to go out for a medical appointment. He spends his time balancing art and class workload while having a part-time job that is remotely from home, as well as a very irregular sleep schedule due to quarantine.

Serrato balances six classes while babysitting her brother and work. Her parents are out to work all day, so Serrato manages her house chores and responsibilities. Before the pandemic, she had a similar schedule.

With the conversation of reopening COS booming, Serrato is enthusiastic to return to campus while also acknowledging what may change.

“COS will be different because of sanitary reasons and social distancing. A lot will change.” Seratto explained.

As the months have progressed unexpectedly for all and as COS enters the new semester, Finney, Serrato, and Celaya are hopeful for what’s to come.

“Don’t hold your breath, be realistic. COVID won’t just end, and neither will the social and cultural repercussions of it. Return to normal classes if you really need to, but think about other people when you make your decision.” Finney finished with.

Finney will not be attending COS next semester due to his transfer, but he believes things will change for COS and all the other colleges across the state. Although it may seem intimidating to some, Finney is hopeful students will be more appreciative and careful.

“Patience is gonna be the key. We’ve waited this long, we can wait a little longer.” Celaya stated with a hopeful outlook for the future.