First Generation Latina Student Watching the Presidential Debate

Mute the mics!

As a first-generation Latina college student, I have always felt as if it was my duty to my ancestors and undocumented family to educate myself  in all aspects that I could. 

Growing up, American politics were not something we talked about. Like many other Latinx and first-generation students, I had to learn it on my own. It is important to me that I educate myself on policies and laws that could affect my family or even myself. It’s important to voice my opinions for the silenced and vote for those who cannot. I feel as if it’s my job to represent people in my family who currently are undocumented and living in this country. 

The first of three Presidential Debates between Joe Biden and Donald Trump happened on September 30th. I, like many people, was astonished and in disbelief after the behavior shown from these two candidates. Called the worst debate to ever happen in the history of presidential debates, I was glad I got to see it on TV and witness it first hand.  

There were multiple times where moderator Chris Wallace had to stop the debate and reiterate the rules. The rules were placed to give each candidate time to talk without getting interrupted by one another, but these were not followed and as a result, the debate sounded more like a brawl between two drunk guys at a bar. 

In the first 5 minutes of watching, I could tell this was going to be a messy debate.

Trump, right away, started with his entitled comments which gave off a “Republicans won the election 3 years ago, get over it” vibe. In 2016, Trump promised to replace Obamacare with something better and since then has only gotten rid of the mandate. But is Trump thinking of the millions of people who cannot afford private insurers? What about farmworkers? Is anyone thinking about the price and how the common man cannot afford that? 

After more bickering back and forth, the bits of commentary I was able to piece together, I could hear Biden telling Trump that he doesn’t and has never had a plan for America and in between that Biden said “just shut up man,” which shows how much Trump was getting at Biden’s nerves. 

I can bet that I wasn’t the only viewer who couldn’t help but laugh at these comments on behalf of Biden. Mute the mics when they’re not supposed to be talking.  Have we learned nothing from Zoom? 

On the COVID segment, Biden exposed Trump on knowing how deadly the virus was in February and how serious it was, and said he chose to do nothing about it until it was too late. 

I feel as if Trump never had a plan for our country. Trump stated that he didn’t want to cause panic within the American people, however, I believe that he was the one that panicked. As Biden said, get out of your bunker and do your job.

This segment was won by Biden because Trump was completely discredited. His actions in the past few months have been disgraceful, especially when he stated on record that Americans should inject themselves with bleach. Such ridiculous comments in a serious time make me think if I really want to go through this for 4 more years.

I’m glad I could hear Biden call Trump a clown – which was my favorite part of this so-called debate. 

I was not surprised when Biden laid down facts about racism. I think during this segment was when Trump was the quietest and Biden most transparent and sincere. 

Biden spoke about about schools, workplaces, and law enforcement being unequal to African Americans and how even if he does believe that law enforcement is important, he admits that bad apples should be held accountable. I happen to agree with everything stated by Biden. 

Throughout this segment, I learned that Trump ended racial sensitivity training. When asked why, he argued that this type of training was teaching people to hate our country. As if people learning about America’s racist history was bad. I believe it is important for people to be educated about the past so they know why things are the way they are now. 

Systematic injustice is real. Inequality is real. The justice system is built against people of color. Against people who look exactly like me. As Biden said, people need to know what insults and is demeaning to other people. Everyone grows up differently and it’s important that everyone knows that. Trump looks like the type of person who would claim reverse racism. 

Trump claimed Biden would be the type of President to not call the Coast Guard in harsh situations- calling him scared. I thought this was so unprofessional and so unlike a President. Why can’t Trump just follow the rules set by both parties? Why does he think the rules don’t apply to him? 

The most shocking moment for me was Trump not condemning white supremacists. When asked about them, he completely ignored the question. I know that this exact moment made many people disgusted and sick to their stomach. It was a moment that shocked me and left me as a viewer with no words. 

Overall, this first debate left me disappointed. Unprofessional and unpresidential to say the least. It was more about watching each candidates’ behavior instead of their stances on policy, which is what I wanted to hear instead of the President and Biden bickering back and forth and talking over each other. I didn’t hear specific plans for guiding our nation forward nor what was on their agenda for next year. 

I believe Trump was trying to throw Biden off his game the whole time. His strategy was not to win over viewers at home, but to show that his opponent was incapable of remaining calm under pressure which he completely failed to do. Biden spoke directly to Americans at home when he spoke directly to the cameras, refusing to give credence to the president’s  attacks. 

As a Latina, I’m concerned for my future. What’s next? Is this what the next four years is going to be like if Trump is re-elected? Americans deserve better. We deserve a debate, not scenes from a reality show. The people who ended up losing the debate are voters because of what a waste it was. I’m embarrassed and now I’m wondering what people from foreign countries are thinking of us. 

Let’s just say this debate didn’t leave me screaming “give me four more years please.”It also didn’t leave me thinking that America is doing great as a country. 

In the next coming debates, I want to hear about immigration, DACA, college students, and wages. However, my expectations aren’t that high anymore. 

Regardless of what you believe, please go out and vote. Represent those voices who can’t be heard. 

You can check your voter status at https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov or by calling 559-624-7300.