Editorial: When Should Tech Be Used on Campus?

In colleges today, technology is constantly being updated and pushed inside the classroom and at home for homework. But when is the right time and place to use technology?

Aubrey+Ramirez%2C+27%2C+at+The+Grind.+

Skyler Singsouvanny

Aubrey Ramirez, 27, at The Grind.

There’s no bigger classroom distraction than a student using a phone. There is also no bigger disappointment than a teacher who belittles technology and the ever changing society we are currently living in.

Some students have gotten so comfortable with being on their devices when a teacher is lecturing or in front of the class that it almost seems normal. For many class is spent with eyes down on their screen and notes can be copied afterwards from a classmate. For others it’s become distracting to try to ignore a classmate using their phone, or worse on a phone call.

Most teachers have lenient policies but others do their best to exclude technology from their classes altogether. Many include in their syllabus if for any reason a student might need their phone, they are free to step out of class to avoid being disruptive. Most students blatantly disregard the syllabus and choose to do what they want. Some are more respectful but it takes away from their class time when a student is being reprimanded for being on their phone.

While teachers have the right to not allow phones in their class, some may overreact or put too much blame on the students for using their tech. Often laptops and other tech are barred or even confiscated from being used in favor of paper assignments or notes. However many students are more used to using tech to do their work and most professions are going paperless as the years go by. In many cases teaching without tech is detrimental to students’ education since they’ll have to start from square one once they reach their chosen profession instead of entering with an idea of how to use some of the tools they might need everyday.

So who is right and who is wrong?

We at The Campus believe a balance of both new tech and traditional methods is the best way. Studies have shown that people will remember their notes better of they’re written by hand. Perhaps teaching and taking notes by hand with time set aside for tech could ease the act of looking away from the professor and onto their phone.

Yes there’ll be students who still stay on their phone all class but at least then professors can say they were fair before punishing the student.

Students need to respect their teacher’s wishes and pay attention in class. But respect goes both ways, and giving a little time for students to be productive online as well as homework given online makes a better compromise than no tech at all.