Making A Personal Statement

Bobby Garcia

“Students need help because it is not something that is learned in the classroom and it is something that students tend to struggle with.” said Writing Center Coordinator Alvarez.

Your goals can either be made or lost all because of how well your Personal Statement was made.

On October 23, Erin Alvarez, a coordinator for the COS writing center, held a workshop for students interested in completing or getting started with their personal statement letter, a letter listing out all of their personal achievements, interests, and goals, etc.. for part of entering many collages or jobs. The workshop took place within the COS library in room 203.

Bobby Garcia
The event was held in the COS Visalia Campus Library and featured numerous dos and don’ts for personal letters.

“Students need help because it is not something that is learned in the classroom and it is something that students tend to struggle with.” Alvarez said.

The turnout attracted several students, all eager to get their personal statements completed for their collages.

“I’m transferring to a UC and needed to work on my application.” Andres Perez, who attended the workshop said.

Personal Statement letters are generally a 900 word or less, double spaced, and 4 to7 paragraph essay that tells the story about someones educational goals, career goals, personal achievements and desires that they wish to accomplish.

Tips that students are encouraged to use in writing their personal statement letter is that they must start by reading and analyzing what questions the collage or university requires to be answered, brainstorm and create an outline explaining it all, and then make a plan for how they want to lay it all out. It should be kept in mind that when writing, a student should get the story out first and be themselves and then go back and correct any grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors for later. The writing center within the library can be a great help in becoming a second pair of eyes and double check all students with their personal statements.

Bobby Garcia
Students who could not make today’s workshop have one more chance to get more tips and input on their personal statements Nov. 13 in the library.

Following the workshop, the students left with much more confidence and assurance about how to complete their personal statement letter.

“I got a lot more info,” Ashley Hernandes said “To be honest and to not hold back and how to lay it all out.”

Students who could not make today’s workshop have one more chance to get more tips and input on their personal statements Nov. 13 in the library. For more information about personal statements or a fresh pair of eyes visit the Writing Center in LRC 115. For more information about the Writing Center and workshops contact Erin Alvarez by email or call 559-730-3903.