Club Rush

"Give Back go Get Back"

Louie Vale

Louie Vale

"Give Back go Get Back"

William Huffaker, Staff Reporter

From tobacco to tennis, there is a club for everyone.  Of the 47 active clubs on College of Sequoias’ Visalia campus, 27 set up booths from 10 am to 1 pm in the quad for today’s Club Rush. 

According to Debbie Douglas, the campus’ student activities adviser, this event serves as an opportunity for clubs to be able to recruit as well as an opportunity for students to learn about the clubs available on campus. 

The idea is that each club will rush to gain membership because as the semester progresses, if a student wishes to join a club, they must seek it out themselves.  Here the clubs bring themselves directly to the students in a “pick me!  pick me!” type attitude. 

The COS Greens, a club on campus that reflects the political opinions of the Green Party were on display today promoting their progressive values.   

According to their president Lauren Mauricio, 27, Elementary Education,” The club likes to share their strong opinions on ‘Feminism, gender equality, and gun violence’ and hope to host Jill Stein at an event later in the semester,” Club President Lauren Mauricio, Elementary Education,27. 

There were clubs for students with all kinds of diverse opinions, with both the Campus Republicans and Young Democrats in full display.  Today’s activities were also not just limited to clubs and promotions.  Many booths were serving foods such carne asada fries from the EOPS club, Fatty Burgers from COS Printworks, and even doughnuts from the tennis team.  Students could also find a bounce house jousting ring and a booth set up by the United States Army. 

Thomas Bowser, 21, Philosophy, sees clubs as a “good networking opportunity.”  He sees them a great way to make new friends and above all, “looks great on transcripts.” 

“It’s really invigorating to share my passion with other people that are passionate about the same things.” Katie Welch, Health Science, 37.