Letter from the Managing Editor

When I began taking classes at COS, it was during the fall of my senior year of high school, and in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic. At the time, I did not know that The Campus existed, or that I would discover a passion for journalism.

In 2021, I began attending COS full-time as a journalism major – there was no film major and I wanted to continue my efforts in documentary filmmaking – and discovered the existence of The Campus. I joined The Campus in the spring of 2022, and am glad I was able to continue my work here this fall. I fell in love with how stories can be told in different formats, whether it be through video or the written word.

The Campus began publishing in 1933, but the paper is having to take a break (for now) falling just short of reaching 90 years of publishing. College newspapers are important, empowering student voices and highlighting news that might otherwise go uncovered. I hope the paper is revived soon, and am excited to see what this paper will do once it receives a stable foundation to rebuild off of.

Thank you, Vanessa Lamb and Lauren Fishback, for helping our team create the video content we dreamed of in our efforts to make this paper fit for the modern age. Thank you to Professor Shailin Kennedy, for all of your guidance, and for helping the paper keep producing content for an extra couple of semesters.

Thank you to The Campus Journal’s staff for having the correct opinions on coffee and oxford comma usage, being so willing to learn, and putting such great work into the paper this semester. It was a privilege to work with you all, and I cannot wait to see what you do in the future.

Thank you Spencer Beair, this semester’s Editor-in-Chief, for your leadership, all the sports knowledge I have gained from reading your work, and for always answering my text messages, even when they are delivered at midnight on Saturday nights as I edit stories.

This paper has become a large part of my life during these last two semesters, and I am extremely grateful to have learned so much from my time with The Campus.