What The Library/Learning Resource Center is Doing to Help Students With Remote Learning

The green is from 8/10/2019 – 3/10/2020 The blue is 8/10/2020 – 3/10/2021

Last March, the district went remote and since then COS has offered several services and resources in order to help students with remote learning.

Due to high demand at the beginning of remote learning, the laptop and hotspot checkout program significantly expanded. Before going remote laptops and hotspots were only able to be checked out for 48 hours. As of now, they are able to be checked out for the entirety of the semester and students can now renew their checkout remotely. 

COS has also acquired many more devices since going remote. Pre-COVID, COS had 35 laptops and 44 hotspots; now they have 1,326 Chromebooks, 184 Windows laptops, 1,697 hotspots, 76 webcams, and 175 mice. Since May 5, 2020, the Library and Learning Resource Center have processed 4,653 devices.

Ask a Librarian is available every day remotely and 5 languages are supported. Those languages being, Spanish, Hmong, Serbian, American Sign Language, and Farsi. Zoom requests and chat have been added with phone and e-mail support still available.

New services have been implemented due to COVID. One of these beings, Requesting Books by Mail. COS received additional funding for textbooks and has purchased additional copies of reserve books for specific courses. Students can make an appointment to pick up books on campus or have them sent to their homes.

Textbook scanning is available as well. Students can request a title and staff will send up to 2 chapters. COS has expanded its databases such as OneSearch, Kanopy, Digital Theatre+, Swank, and eBooks.

The chart below shows the overall Library interactions with students, faculty, and staff for all of its services.

The chart below shows the overall Library interactions with students, faculty, and staff for all of its services. This includes questions on research, books, technology, and general services.

The green is from 8/10/2019 – 3/10/2020
The blue is 8/10/2020 – 3/10/2021

COS has plenty of resources available for students to help them succeed during remote learning.