We live in California and they don’t care what Federal Law says

Isaac Luna, Reporter

“We live in California and they don’t care what Federal law says.” -Homeland Security Chairman Rachel Martin

On February 7th at 6 p.m., a meeting of “Exeter Republican Women Federated” was held at the Exeter Women’s Club featuring guest speaker Homeland Security Chairman Rachel Martin. Chairman Martin spoke on a variety of issues such as how to talk to people on the other side of the isle, abortion, terrorism, the southern border, and most prominently, the agriculture industry and environment.

Chairman Martin discussed an environmental proposition she’s authoring entitled the “Value of Life Act”. The act, if passed, will prioritize “value and/or quality of life of human beings and domesticated animals’ lives,” which include animals for agriculture production. The act continues to say the aforementioned lives will “supersede precedence over non-domesticated animals and plantae.” She was very passionate about practical environmental protection and maintenance.

“We live in California and they don’t care what Federal law says.” Chairman Martin said in an interview with The Campus.

She explained that California democrats, typically tend to ignore federal law specifically in cases such as the legalization of marijuana, which is still federally banned. She elaborated by pointing out how government agencies have to perform raids and destroy illegal marijuana growths.

Martin then directed her attention  towards sanctuary cities, which she claimed were prohibited by federal law referring to 8 U.S. Code § 1373 which states,

“Notwithstanding any other provision of Federal, State, or local law, a Federal, State, or local government entity or official may not prohibit, or in any way restrict, any government entity or official from sending to, or receiving from, the Immigration and Naturalization Service information regarding the citizenship or immigration status, lawful or unlawful, of any individual.”

Basically, no government agency or official can interfere with the Immigration and Naturalization Service’s ability to get information regarding a person’s immigration or citizenship status. Although no jurisdiction has been charged with violating the law, her claim may hold some validity. Martin neglected to mention how other states pass laws that subvert or ignore federal laws.