What makes Valentine’s Day so great?

What makes Valentine’s Day so great?

Arlyn Mendoza, Photo Editor

Valentine’s Day is one of the most divided days of the year. Students either like it, or hate it. There are those that like the colors pink and red, and those who enjoy romantic gestures and can appreciate the day for celebrating loved ones. Then there are those who hate it because they are single or argue that love should be expressed year round. Most students forget that Valentines day can be for everyone even for those who are single, and expressing gratitude each day depends on the person. Here is why Valentine’s Day is great.

Negative notions of being single on Valentine’s Day did not start for many of us until we became teenagers. As children, most grade school teachers celebrated Valentine’s Day by encouraging children to bring little cards or sweets for everyone. Each child was involved and we all loved receiving kind notes and chocolates. As we grew older it seemed like only those who were in relationships could celebrate the day. Somehow along the way  we forgot that we used to appreciate our friendships and our parents and maybe even our pets. If we find ourselves single on Valentine’s Day we can still find someone to appreciate.

Speaking of chocolate, another great thing about Valentine’s Day is that it is another excuse to indulge in sweets and deliciously unforgiving dark chocolate. Another thing to look forward to about Valentine’s day is the day after when all the candy is on sale. It is not just candy, it is home decor, gifts and all the cute plush animals. If love is truly patient your significant other can wait until the day after Valentine’s Day to receive their gift because you went out and got it for 50% off. College students are on a budget after all.

Those who can relate to The Grinch will argue that love should be year round and not squeezed in to one day out of the year. While it is a personal decision whether one appreciates love all year round or not is completely up to the person. And kudos to those who do not need one day out of the year to appreciate loved ones. We have to remember that Valentine’s Day can just be any regular day if we want it to. Take in the day as you please. The day is not there to make those who are single feel bad. Go back to the memories of celebrating love with those around you in your 3rd grade classroom and remember the joy and innocence in sharing love.  Valentine’s Day is for everyone and if we find ourselves single on Valentine’s Day, we can always give a little love to someone who we appreciate in our lives.