Rhapsody in rainbow

Rhapsody in rainbow

Briuana Guerro, Guest Columnist

I

Briauna Guerrero

President of COS Pride Club

They/Them Pronouns

Before Watching

As someone who is a part of the LGBTQ+ community, I understand the controversy behind the Bohemian Rhapsody movie. However, I am also a big fan of Queen. This is largely due to the fact that the band’s frontrunner and lead singer, Freddie Mercury is an important Queer icon. His status as an icon is also the central point around the controversy. Some of the LGBTQ+ community are worried the movie is potentially going to straight-wash Freddie, I’m with them on this. I will be sad and disappointed if the cause of Freddie’s death, AIDS, isn’t mentioned or if his sexuality, bisexual, is completely overlooked. I understand that this movie is more about the band and its music, but straight-washing Freddie Mercury just doesn’t sit well with me. If this is going to be a true biopic of Queen, it’s important to also add their personal lives to it. If they do end up leaving out his sexuality and cause of death, I don’t think they would be doing Mercury any justice. I think it would also show how people still aren’t ready for true representation in movies, which is really sad. I would love it if I could truly relate to someone on the big screen who is like me and if this movie truly straight-washes, it just shows me that it’s going to be a while before I get to enjoy that feeling.

After Watching

Consider me thoroughly surprised and happy after watching Bohemian Rhapsody. It took my breath away and had me feeling a lot of emotions. The representation was amazing and, I believe, was represented correctly. I went in with my expectations very rocky with doubt but, by the end of the movie, I was grinning from ear to ear. I’m glad that I made the final decision to see it for myself and create my own opinion on it because, let me tell you, it was a great movie. The LGBTQ+ themes throughout it were accurately put, especially for that time era, and I believe that it truly represented real struggles that queer people faced in that time. I’m glad that the movie didn’t shy away from the reality of who Freddie Mercury was and his sexuality. This was a win for the LGBTQ+ community because not very many people truly know how Mercury felt throughout his life and in his last moments. Honestly, I highly recommend people of the LGBTQ+ community to see it for themselves, even if you are feeling unsure about it, because you won’t be disappointed.