Talking about me Generation

Talking about me Generation

John Dillion, Arts & Entertainment Editor

I was born in February of 2001; seven months later, the Twin Towers fell. This singular event catalyzed the world in which I was raised. For the entirety of Generation Z, this is true.

My generation is largely lumped in with Millenials purely due to the fact that both generations are young. We are oft forgotten when speaking about generational impact. Millenials get the spotlight, even if it is about how they’re ‘killing’ everything.

Generation Z encompasses those reaching adulthood between the mid 2010s and the mid 2020s. This would place birth between the mid 1990s (probably 1997) and the mid 2000s which makes perfect sense taken in context.

The only world my generation has known is war or the consequences of war. After the towers fell, the Bush Administration clamored to declare war on the responsible parties; consequently, the U.S. has been engaged in constant warfare in the Middle East since October of 2001. Obviously, this takes a toll on the way children are raised.

In 2007 and 2008, when most of us were between the ages of six and ten, the economy crashed rather drastically. We called this a ‘recession’, arguably because the word ‘depression’ had been already played out. Our parents were laid off and forced to beg and plead for work in any way possible, house prices skyrocketed, and our currency inflated.

Just four years later in 2012, twenty children were killed in a school shooting. One year later, bombs killed three and injured 283 in Boston. 2015; San Bernardino. 2016; Pulse Nightclub. 2017; Charlottesville. 2017; three giant hurricanes. 2018; Parkland High School.

These are the tragedies that shaped our very existence, and while previous generations have adapted, our generation was born in these dark times. Generation Z is going out less, partying less, becoming more fiscally and socially responsible. It’s not because we want to; it’s because we have to. We have to constantly be on edge about another economic collapse or be on guard in case of a devastating world event.

That’s why we’re becoming more politically active.

Baby Boomers were the last generation en masse to see a direct correlation between politics and culture. Gen X (who reached adulthood in the 80s) enjoyed the benefits of booming free trade as well as a light, colorful, and musical pop culture. Millenials (who reached adulthood in the 00s) experienced a soaring economy as well as a defined culture by the introduction of the Internet.

Generation Z is becoming far more cynical when it comes to the world. Trust in government is at an all time low. Young people are moving away from religion. Radical ideas are growing and thriving in American youth because we are unhappy and, furthermore, outwardly upset with the state our world is currently in.

We see a corrupt system that needs to be changed. Some believe it should be torn down altogether, some believe that it needs to be strengthened in order to work. However, most of us are coming to terms with the fact that the world can’t be changed unless we participate in the existing system.

These people, who are gaining more and more agency every year, will soon be those deciding what is happening in the country. I see an increasingly devious world and so do all of my peers. We want to change that. Even if we work as an intern or clerk or secretary, we care about our world and we recognize that no one else is going to work for us except us.