Macareno wins Ward 3, Lehn wins Ward 5

Macareno wins Ward 3, Lehn wins Ward 5

Ray Macareno won the Ward 3 board of trustees seat by a slim margin against Vergil Hardcastle.

Michael Taber

Michael Taber

Michael Taber

Venie Soares, Lead Reporter

In competitive races Ray Macareno and John Lehn won seats on the College of the Sequoias Board of Trustees.

With all precincts reporting, Macaerno defeated Vergil Hardcastle in Ward 3 with almost 53 percent of the vote. Leon beat Alfred Benavides in Ward 5, garnering 65 percent of the ballots.

Ward 3 covers the northeast area of the district, including the cities of Woodlake, Cutler, and Orosi. Macareno looks forward to focusing on community outreach, partnerships with other institutions and reducing barriers for students.

“Most importantly, as a representative I am here to listen,” Macareno said,“I don’t claim to know how to operate a college, but I am an expert at listening and community engagement. This unique perspective allows me to bring forth the interests of the community I represent. I am committed and dedicated to be a public servant to ensure our community prospers.” 

Macarena also wants to strengthen the COS relationship with Fresno State University, Tulare County Office of Education, and local school districts to ensure students are prepared for higher education and career opportunities.

“The administration and faculty are doing phenomenal work in creating programs and course work tailored to our job market,” Macareno said, “staying in touch with students will allow me to efficiently aim for growth and change beneficial to students.”

Ward 5 covers the western part of the district including Hanford and Armona. Lehn has a long history with COS. He’s a graduate, a COS Hall of Fame member, past Giant of the Year, and a member of the COS Superintendent’s Community Advisory Council since its inception.

“The beauty of the participatory governance process institutionalized at COS is that the process itself is designed to ensure all parties of a decision of the institution, wether it be student, faculty, staff, or administration, have a place at the table where policies and spending prorities are discussed,” Lehn said.

John Lehn beat out Alfred Benavides with a strong 65 percent of the vote in the Ward 5 board of trustees race. – Photo Credit: Micheal Taber

Lehn looks to use his 40 years of of managing employment and training programs to bring a deep understanding of the barriers and struggles college student’s face. Whether they be age, socio-economic conditions, learning challenges, as well as re-entry and self-esteem.

“We must continue to coordinate our programs with public and private entities,” Lehn said, “to ensure our students have full exposure to the latest in technology and that our curriculum is articulated with leading universities.”

Macareno replaces Earl Mann, who retired in mid-term, and will take over Ward 3 seat immediately. His term comes up for re-election in 2020.

Lehn will replace John Zumwalt, who is retiring after 24 years on the board, in Ward 5.

This story has been edited to correct a previous publication error. – Monday, Nov. 9, 2018