Giants Make Run A For The Championship

Venie Soares, Staff Reporter

Lidia Briseno and Ismael Ramirez pace the College of Sequoias cross country team into post season competition. 

The Central Valley Conference league championship traverses the hilly Woodward Park course in Fresno on Friday Oct. 26. 

“It will be a competitive battle,” said David Sanchez, COS cross country coach. “We should be able to win it. We raced there earlier in the season and we know what to work on. 

Briseno leads the women’s team. She has had four top ten finishes in her last five races and has set a new personal best at 18:56 over 3 miles.  

Coach Sanchez said, “She’s really working hard, I believe she should win conference and go on to be an All-American.” 

The women will need to overcome some minor injuries to win the CVC crown, said Sanchez. The team has a lot of soreness and Priscilla Sanchez is waiting for a doctor’s clearance before racing. Courtney Santos, Victoria Cota and Viviana Corralejo should place well. 

Ramirez is the leader of the men’s team. He has three top five finishes and has not placed lower than eleventh all season. 

“He should win conference,” said Sanchez, “this year is his first time running four miles, we’re teaching him to run out front, to be more aggressive. He does the work and is a quiet leader. He’s a really strong candidate for All-American.” 

Oscar Perez, David Roderick, Joel Garcia, and Luciano Linares round out a group that will be very competitive at Woodward Park.  

“Oscar is buying in, doing his weekend work and wants to be an All-American. David has good experience, Joel is reaching his potential and Luciano has shaved two and a half minutes off his time.  

After the CVC league race, the men and women race in the Nor-Cal regional championship in Redding on Nov.2. The Nor-Cal meet brings teams from Visalia to the Oregon border to race for seven spots in the state finals at Woodward Park in Fresno on Nov. 17. 

“The regionals are a foot in the door for everybody. This is when it gets critical, we have the capacity to qualify for state. We’ll try to control our situation and pay attention to details.”