October Board of Trustee Meeting

Venie Soares, Staff Repoter

A sense of relief and elation about the recent accreditation inspection report highlighted the College of Sequoias Board of Trustees meeting on Monday, Nov. 8. 

The 440 pages, four-and-a-half-pound report from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges detailed an inspection of COS procedures, curriculum and campus. A visiting team of 12 members interviewed students, faculty, and administration on all three campus’. 

Brent Calvin, COS Superintendent/President, said the accreditation was very successful. 

“If they had a thought, we were on it. We came through this as well as any college ever has,” he said. 

In other reports, Antonio Gutierrez, Student Trustee, announced new Student Senate officers, the chartering of two new clubs and gave a special thanks to Brent Davis, COS Athletic Director, for his efforts in helping form a new COS booster club, Giant Nation. 

The Academic Senate reported they have voted to make a significant change, the senate itself will select its officers. The changes to its Constitution will require a two-thirds majority vote by faculty. 

The Board received information for review on $9.87 unrestricted one-time general funds. But due to a new state funding formula, administration recommends on allocating $5 million for expenditures currently. These expenditures will be voted on as an action item at November meeting. 

Annual High School partnership reports were given: 

Visalia Technical Early College has a 100 percent graduation rate, 31 percent of students attend COS and all students’ complete sequences for UC/CSU admission. 

University Prep requires two years of foreign language be taken at COS and nine students have graduated from high school and COS concurrently. 

The Dual Enrollment Program has 1307 students attending high school and COS together and their students show an Above 80 percent success rate in COC courses. 

A COS farming operation annual update was also given to Board members. 

All consent items on the agenda were approved unanimously by the Board. These include minutes of the previous meeting, personnel reports, payments of the District’s financial obligations and the working budget dated September 19, 2018. 

Memorandums of Understanding were approved between COS and Cutler-Orosi school district, Proteus manpower organization, the Pathways to Law School program and with various rehabilitation operations to provide programs for students. 

The Rotaract Club was approved to travel out-of-state for a conference. 

All action items on the agenda were approved unanimously. 

New COS classes in Fashion, Dance, Nursing and Physical Therapy. 

Policies on purchase and disposal of real property, citizens oversight committees and agreements with non-profit entities to build and finance student, faculty or staff housing near the campus. 

The transfer of $6815 from the Hispanic Serving Fund to the Math, Engineering, Science Achievement Program. 

Academic calendars for 2020-21 and 2021-22. 

The next meeting is on November 12, 2018.