New Cross Country Coach Comes Back Home

Venie Soares, Staff Reporter

New cross-country coach David Sanchez leads his runners on a course of discipline, hard work, and positive attitude. 

“It’s all about your environment. If you associate with people who are negative, you settle and become complacent. It only takes one person to change the environment,” Sanchez said. 

Hired last spring to replace David Bronzan, a 32-year coaching veteran, Sanchez brings a successful track record to the College of Sequoias. 

Sanchez began his distance running career at Farmersville High School. He was a Valley champion as a senior after finishing third in his junior season. 

After graduating in 2008, he was recruited to run distance by Arizona State, Fullerton State and Fresno State. The 3.3 GPA student chose Fresno State. An eligibility office mistake led Sanchez to COS and Coach Bronzan. 

As a COS freshman, Sanchez finished second in the 1500-meter State finals. As a sophomore, he was State champion in the 10-kilometer race and third in the 5-kilometer race. He was named All-American in track and cross country. 

Sanchez earned a scholarship to Adams State College in Alamosa, Colorado, a national power in in distance running. At Adams State he was part of two national championship teams. All members of the team were named All-Americans. As a senior, he finished 12 out of 275 runners in the National Championship race. 

After graduating, he spent a spent a season on the professional distance running circuit. He was signed to a contract by the shoe manufacturer, Skechers. 

In 2013, Sanchez returned to Adams State and was the assistant coach for two years. He came full circle, returning to Visalia in 2015, to assist Coach Bronzan until being named head coach. 

“I was lucky to run for and work under two great coaches, Damon Martin and David Bronzan. My philosophy is, that as coaches, we need to meet student-athletes where they’re at. I use goal setting, psychology, and individual plans for school and running,” Sanchez said. 

Assistant David Garza is also a COS alum. He graduated Tulare Western High School and ran on Azusa Pacific’s National Championship team. Both coaches stress effort and accountability on the track and in the classroom. 

“Concentrate, mental toughness is a critical part of any sport. What you put in is what you get out. Don’t let emotions get the best of you. Have respect for others and help them, if you can,” said Sanchez 

Sanchez is already recruiting for next season’s team. He says that for the student-athlete, COS cross country offers individual attention, a plan for improvement, the opportunity to succeed and help qualifying for aid. 

Currently single, Sanchez likes fishing, hiking, and travel. Anything that is natural and relaxing. 

Sanchez wants to combine education and athletics to create personal growth for students. 

“I want students to know that if I could do it, they can do it. I want to be the guy that students can go to, I’m willing to work with people. I see opportunity in everybody. I want to be the person you can always count on,” Sanchez said.