Kaepernick: Kneeling Patriot

San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid (35) and quarterback Colin Kaepernick (7) kneel during the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Rams in Santa Clara, Calif., Monday, Sept. 12, 2016. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez) ORG XMIT: FXN

AP

AP

Jared Salcedo, Staff Reporter

Colin Kaepernick is a patriot and people are blind to see that. He took a knee during the national anthem. He was protesting against police brutality and people took immediate action by bashing him on social media. The national anthem is sacred to a lot of people and that is understandable. What he did was exercise is free rights. The First Amendment allows him to do so.  In quote from aclu.org, “The right to join with fellow citizens in protest or peaceful assembly is critical to a functioning democracy”. What Kaepernick did was really peaceful. No harm was made, nothing violent, or anything to the degree of death. He was exercising his free right for what military people fight to protect.

People quickly to forget that a military veteran sat down with him and told him to take a knee rather than stand. Veteran Nate Boyer told Kaepernick to take a knee rather than sit because for a fallen soldier kneeling is more appropriate. It came directly from a veteran that served this country. He wanted to know where the now ex-football player was coming from. Kaepernick took that and did it the following game when he was still playing. Some military personnel do not have a problem with him taking a knee because they even say, “I fight for him to do that”.

If taking a knee is very disrespectful to the flag like most people say, they really must be blind as hell. When you go to a professional game people sit down during the national anthem or stand up and not remove their cap. Or how about when concession stands still serve food and drinks during the national anthem? Where is the respect there?  People quickly shot down Kaepernick’s protest because it was during the national anthem. They forget what is going on around them.

Giving up a job that makes millions of dollars is hard to let go especially when your job is to throw touchdowns and be great. Believing in something that you are extremely passionate about is also difficult to stay silent about. Instead of staying and making millions of dollars he went out and stood for something he believed in. Not too many people can do that and the ones who have the audacity to shoot him for it is total blasphemy. It’s ridiculous, we as the American people have a right to speak our minds and take action upon it. No one would give up a job that makes millions like he did. He really gave up his career and no one really truly see’s why.

There is nothing wrong with what he did. A man simply exercising his right that military personnel fight and defend for. Police brutality is a very tough subject because it has been going on for quite some time. Kaepernick just wants a change for the youth that is growing up in a corrupt world he would say. He doesn’t want children afraid of going outside and possibly get beat up or racially profiled because of their skin color. No one should ever have that fear of coming into contact with law enforcement no matter the color. It still happens though and it is a disgrace to this country.

Was it wrong of him to take a knee? No it wasn’t. Those that are really hurt by him taking a knee can’t really explain to other people why it was wrong. Most common answer is, “It was during the national anthem”. A lot of things go on still during the national anthem. Not a single one is talked about. What Colin Kaepernick did is practice his patriotism. He has given future generations to not be afraid of speaking up against something. Especially if it draws controversy. Not just on police brutality, but maybe one day we’ll hear about sexual orientation, racial appearance, or religion in the news. We already do, but it might be taken to another extent of protest like police brutality was. It was not disrespectful at all what he did, he has a right like everyone else does.