Lady Giants Fall to Fresno City in Rivalry Game 3-0

Photo by Jacob Fox

Photo by Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox, Sports Editor

Volleyball season is still in full swing as the Lady Giants of COS took on the Rams of Fresno City College Friday night, in a key rivalry game inside the Porter Field House gym.

Match number 1 saw the Lady Giants begin with the momentum they needed on some long but incredibly impressive rallies. Scoring the first 3 points and 7 of the first 11, the newly minted student section was roaring from the stands and helped pump up the crowd and give our women’s team some motivation. However, the wheels soon started to fall off. Thanks to many faulty serves and some mistakes in communication among the group on the floor, FCC went on to score 7 straight points to take an 11 to 7 lead. The lead was never relinquished as the Rams went on to take the first match 25 to 17. Number 11 Christa Pilgrim was a lone bright spot thanks to her excellent spiking and blocking on the front line.

Photo by Jacob Fox
Match number 2 brought about the same issues that plagued them in the first match with faulty serves. Despite the alarming number of serving mistakes, COS kept the match relatively close never trailing by more than 4 with even more strong front-line play. Spikes from the opposing Rams rarely connected on the other side as our Lady Giants played excellent defense. Ultimately, too many offensive miscues doomed the team despite strong showings from the COS side of the court. Number 7 Alexis Carmona was up and down the floor showing great agility and speed, number 16 Sydney Guinn delivered beautiful sets which brought commanding spikes from the front line, especially by number 11 Christa Pilgrim, number 1 Madison Sousa, and number 3 Cassidy Dolin.

Photo by Jacob Fox
Many of COS’ men’s baseball team made a showing to the student section and tried to help give the Lady Giants motivation with a catchy cheer; bump was C, set was O, and spike was S.

Match 3 was a much different ball game but ended up with the same result. FCC started out the match with a 4 to 1 advantage but COS went on to score three in a row thanks to same great defense and the bad serving bug finally biting the opposing Rams. COS’ serving was much improved which led them to impressive scoring streaks of 4 and 6. The scoring streak of 6 was a result of incredible serving from number 14 Emily Soto which gave the Lady Giants their first lead since early in the first match, 17 to 13. FCC found a spark however and went on to score the next eight points in a row to surge back ahead, 21 to 17. COS kept it close but ultimately fell 25 to 22 and the game 3-0.

Game ball for the Lady Giants should’ve gone to number 16 Sydney Guinn for her ability to stretch the floor and quickly move back and forth in order to execute beautiful sets that gave COS big time momentum in key moments.