Giants softball topple Taft 15-2

Kyle Mack

The Giants softball team toppled the Taft College Cougars on Thursday, April 12th with a final score of 15-2.

The Giants win-loss record was 21-10 coming into the game and the Cougars were 11-21. Game time was 2 p.m. at the softball field at the Visalia COS campus.

The Giants offense got going early. The bats were working well as they had a 7-run 2nd inning. This included a 2-run double by third baseman Breanne Tabarez. By the end of the second inning, the Giants led 8-0.

The Giant’s offense picked up right where they left off in the bottom of the 3rd inning as they scored six times to push their lead up to 14-0. Big hits included back to back 2-run singles by Jenna Reyes and Elizabeth Valdez. The Cougars starting pitcher Madison Jared, wouldn’t even make it through three complete innings as the Giants knocked her out of the game early by tagging her for 12 earned runs on 14 hits in only two innings.

Giants coach Kim Artiaga gave her thoughts on what was working for the hitters during the 7-run second inning and 6-run third inning.

“They were seeing the ball really well. We did a lot of work working in the box and worked on fundamentals,” Artiaga said.

The Cougars scored their first runs of the game in the top of the fourth inning when second baseman Jessica Duran singled, and drove in the only two runs of the game for the Cougars.

The game was later called early by mercy rule, as the final score would be 15-2.

Players with big games included Jenna Reyes who had two hits, three RBI’s and three runs scored. Breanne Tabararez went a perfect 3-3 at the plate with four runs driven in. Janess Gradberry, who was also a perfect 3-3, drove in two more runs for the Giants.

Giants starting pitcher Arianna Guzman pitched the entire game while only giving up one earned run and struck out six batters. She improved her win-loss record to 22-10.

The Giants would move to 22-10 on the season while the Taft College Cougars fell to 11-22.

The softball regular season is almost over by Coach Artiaga said that there are still some things the team has to work on.

“There’s still some things we need to execute for sure. We talked about commitment and it’s about being committed and finishing,” Aritaga said.