Christina Lynch Spotlight

Christina Lynch Spotlight

Christina Lynch's Office Photo credit: Louie Vale

Michael Taber

Christina Lynch grew up in the high rises of Chicago, graduated form Harvard, was a journalist in Italy for a well known magazine, became a writer and producer for television would be an incredible story

The English professor for COS is also an author of fiction outside the classroom. Her new book The Italian Party was released on March 20. There will be a book signing at COS on May 9 at 6 P.M. at the Lodgepole building. Alongside her signing of the new book, the Quill Club, in which she is adjunct advisor of, will be releasing their magazine The Giant Squib.

The novel is about a newlywed couple moving to Italy in the 1950s where every one’s secrets come to light in the city of Siena. Lynch notes that the history of the time drives the story as topics that seemed taboo at the time are the focus points in this novel. She believes we tend to look at the 50’s as the Golden Era of the great American family values.

“But times were not so great for those who became pregnant from a sexual assault, or to some one who was a homosexual” Lynch said.

Throw in the political atmosphere of American inference in the Italian government and it becomes a climactic scenario that will give readers a story to remember.

Lynch started writing The Italian Party around the same time she became a full time professor at COS. After numerous rewrites, and at one time the novel being over 500 pages, Lynch is finally ready for the public to read her latest story.

She noted her inspiration for The Italian Party. spent time in Siene as a journalist. Lynch made the connection to her novel because her own parents moved to South America in the 1950s after they got married. That is were the similarities end in the main characters in Lynch’s novel.

“Scottie and Michael are not based on my parents, I was just always intrigued about a story about newlyweds moving to a different country to start their life,” Lynch said.

“The history of the place (Siena) i really like to drive the story”said Lynch.

The cities in Lynch’s novels do not serve as mere backdrops but become a character of their own right to tell the story. Using the actual history of the city propelling the story in a unique interweaving storytelling of fiction and non-fiction.

Lynch remembers she always wanted to be a storyteller. She used to draw her stories at first, then write them out later. As a child she loved to read books, her favorites were the ones that were about horses. The Black Beauty by Anna Sewel was a favorite and a book called King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry.

While growing up in Chicago, she went to the library and read everything she could. As she got older she began to read more adult classic literary novels. She excelled as a student, so much that she was the first in her family and school to go to Harvard. At Harvard Lynch was an editor for the Harvard Lampoon After graduating at 22 she got a job for W magazine as a Milan, Italy correspondent. Lynch then moved to Los Angeles to become a writer and producer for television.

She worked on shows for HBO, FOX, and Lifetime to name a few that she is credited for writing and producing. Stephen King’s Dead Zone, Happily Ever After and Encore, Encore are some of the notable productions that she has penned. During this time she worked in collaboration with another writer and they wrote the Magnus Flyte novels City of Dark Magic and City of Lost Dreams. Lynch and her co-writer Meg Howery created a pseudonym of a fictional male author by the name of Magnus Flyte. Lynch said the reason for this was because women writers in fiction were not being taken seriously and that men would not likely read a fiction written by women. The fiction that was out there was classified as ” Women Fiction”. The interesting fact that there are less than 30% of women who are published fiction authors but the majority of readers who read fiction are women. This is something Lynch hopes goes away and that women would be consider serious fiction writers.

She became a teacher here at COS because it was part of her five year plan. She first heard of this area through friends who were kayakers that told her of the beauty of the Sequoias and surrounding areas. She brought her horse and fell in love with Three Rivers. Lynch decided to write out the next five years of her life. The plan was to first go to grad school, which she did and graduate from Antioch University Los Angeles in Creative Writing. She moved to Three Rivers and found a teaching position here at the College of the Sequoias and continues to write and tell her stories. Lynch said all her friends laughed when they heard about her five year plan.

“Who makes a five year plan then follows through with it? But I knew what I wanted and went after it” Lynch said.

Lynch encourages all her students to write out their own five year plan down to fulfill those dreams.

Megan Baptista, Writing Center Coordinator, believes that Lynch is a positive addition to the campus.

” Christina is an involved and a passionate teacher who works really hard to build a better campus for all students,” Baptista said. “She’s kind, generous, compassionate, and dedicated to her work and students.”

Lynch says that she is living her dream, that she could have lived anywhere in the world and she chose to call the Central Valley her home. She said that Three Rivers reminded her of a movie that she loved when she was young. The movie was Frank Capra’s It’s a Wonderful Life and Lynch dreamed that she could one day live in of Bedford Falls. Living in a close knit community is very appealing claimed Lynch.

” You always run into someone and have to stop and talk, you just can’t go to the post office for a quick trip,” Lynch said.

Lynch is working on her next project she says that she will have a third to half way finished by the end of the summer. The next book will have part of it set in California and the other half in Italy during WWII. She plans to visit the battle fields in Italy as soon the spring semester is finished. She is looking forward in doing the research for the book because she has never visited these areas in Italy.

” I love teaching, it was the best thing ever to happen to me” Lynch said.

Lynch said she never give up teaching to become a full time author. Teaching is far more rewarding in her life because she wants to help students tell their stories. One of the things that she found out when coming on campus here is that there was no outlet to help students with their writing. She is proud of the revival of The Quill Club and the work they are putting out. It gives great hope that the written art form is not dying. Lynch claims that she was pleasantly surprised at the amount of response that the The Quill Club received when students submitted their work for the upcoming Giant Squib magazine in May. Lynch wants to continue to help students find their voice and tell their stories.

Lynch advice for inspiring writers is to keep writing, find a group of people who will trade work with you, find trusted readers and listen to them.

“The most important part of being a writer today,taking joy in the part of the process that you can can control, that is your own words on the page.” Lynch said.