March against gun violence schedule

Dominic Duarte

The reality for a change in gun violence is coming to Visalia. The March For Our Lives will be occurring on Saturday March 24 in the Streets of Washington, DC, where kids and families will be coming together to demand that their lives and safety become a priority. What are called “Sibling Marches” will also occur across the country, as well as here in Visalia, CA at 915 S Mooney Blvd at 9 am. The location is at College of the Sequoias in the Circle Drive.

The March For Our Lives is a student driven and student led movement that formed after the tragic events at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The main event in Washington this weekend will be marching for school safety; the local march in Visalia will have the focus of to put an end on gun violence as a whole. The march will also be accompanied by the Cesar Chavez Legacy March, as both groups advocate for nonviolence.

The marches will begin at 10 am, and will follow Mooney Blvd north as it turns onto Main St. Once the group arrives at Redwood High School, a moment of silence will he held for those who have lost their lives to gun violence. The Cesar Chavez March will then continue on to the Wittman Center, while the March For Our Lives will remain at Redwood High School for a rally. Beginning at 11 a.m. student speakers will address the crowd on the importance of ending gun violence, ensuring school safety, and the impact and power of young people.

Students and their families and community members are invited and encouraged to join the effort to raise awareness for school safety and to place action for our country’s leaders to put an end to gun violence.

For information regarding March For Our Lives, call 760-238-1865 or e-mail [email protected]. For more information about the Mach For Our Lives movement, visit www.marchforourlives.com.