• Last day to drop full term classes with a refund and no 'W' is Jan. 29

Wet Photo Lab Renovated Into Offices for Communication Department

Jacob Mulick

After 27 years at COS, Dr. Tom Weise, communication professor and head of the Fine Arts Division is finally getting a new office.

Weise has had 5 different offices throughout his time at COS, in which this will be his sixth. Currently, Weise occupies the cramped Kaweah 262 and is excited to move out. Although, the new office will be smaller than the one he has currently. He thinks the layout will make it feel bigger.

“It’s going to be nice,” Weise said.

Weise’s new office is part of a renovation that is turning Kaweah 251A, which was originally a wet photography lab, into an office suite that will eventually house the entire communication department staff.

“This is the first time the communication department will actually be a department,” Weise said. “In 28 years, we’ve never been together as a group.”

Byron Woods, Dean of Facilities who is in charge of the project, said that the wet photography lab that the offices are replacing had gone unused for some time.

“I think the digital age has had a tremendous impact on photography, especially the absence of manually developing photographs,” Woods said.

Construction on the offices began in December so that the noisy construction would be completed before school started again. The renovations are expected to be finished in May 2018.