Importance of Women’s History Month

Megan Woodson

Women’s History Month is important to me because it reminds us to celebrate how far we have come to have our rights as women: the freedom to vote, the freedom to express ourselves and having the same rights as men do. I’m grateful to be able to have these freedoms, to be able to express my opinions, my thoughts and most importantly, to be able to inspire others.

I especially admire the strong women in history who stood before me, such as Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Helen Keller, CoCo Chanel, Rosa Parks, Billie Holiday, Mother Teresa and Malana Yousaafzai. All these women fought to have their voices heard in one way or another, whether it be through music, activism, teaching, religious devotion, or simply acting on the big screen.

If I lived in a country such as Pakistan or Afghanistan where women have few rights, I wouldn’t be able to express myself through fashion or makeup and I wouldn’t be able to have the right to work or further my education. I simply wouldn’t have a voice. Thinking about that makes me very sad, but also extremely grateful for the rights I do have living in the United States. I believe in equality for everyone men and women of all types, but I’m not a feminist or an extremist and that’s okay. I’m just me, and I respect the Women’s Movement for what it is. I believe it’s a reminder to never stop giving up, to push forward, and to always treat each other with respect, love and kindness, regardless of whether you’re a man or a woman. We are all powerful and capable of greatness.