Brent Calvin Announced New Superintendent/President

Kason Clark

Brent Calvin brings enthusiasm to his new job as superintendent/president of the College of the Sequoias.

“I’m thrilled, very excited to lead this great institution of ours,” Calvin said.

In his new position, he wants to continue the work that COS has been doing for the past five years. He wants to focus on increasing the number of graduates, degrees, certificates and transfers.

A challenge he is preparing himself for is the new statewide funding formula. the state will roll it out for the 2018-2019 academic year.

“We’re hoping it’s not a challenge but we just don’t have enough information yet to model it out,” Calvin said.

The state is also asking for COS to get students into transfer courses quicker and through their programs faster, that will be a focus for Calvin as superintendent/president.

Calvin believes the board of trustees chose him because of his experience at COS. He is the vice president of student services at COS and has worked here for the past 16 years. He has worked in all three academic services at COS and served as the interim superintendent/president for the 2011-2012 academic year.

“I have a long history here, relationships in our community, [I] was a student,” Calvin said. “I think all that lent itself to choosing me as the final choice.”

Calvin’s contract states that his salary will be $225,000 per year. The district will also provide him a car allowance of $750 per month. The contract does allow Calvin to resign or retire his position upon a calendared sixty days written notice to the board of trustees.

The current superintendent/president, Stan Carrizosa, is looking forward to what Calvin will do and he is happy for him.

“I’m very excited,” Carrizosa said. “I’m incredibly proud and excited for this transition.”

He believes that the board of trustees chose Calvin because of his experience serving in multiple positions at COS.

“That scope of experience, all of those different levels of experience,” Carrizosa said. “Particularly being able to say that you did that successfully at one college, probably set him apart from the other candidates.”

As Calvin prepares himself, Carrizosa will be there to help him as he has been doing.

“We’ve been working closely together for six years,” Carrizosa said. “I think all of that’s going to continue.”

Student Senate President Cheyne Strawn liked all four candidates but he found it interesting that Calvin is possibly the first COS student to ever rise to the position of superintendent/president.

“There’s a success story behind that which is really nice to see,” Strawn said. “You have someone who’s familiar with what COS is doing.”

Strawn does not believe that Calvin and Student Senate have had the best relationship and he thinks it could have been better. However, he is looking forward to working with Calvin as he transitions into office.

“We just hope that we can have a stronger relationship with Brent and the rest of administration,” Strawn said.

He hopes that the relationship improves because it is whats best for the COS community.

“Hopefully, we can work together and find common ground for students,” Strawn said.

As he transitions into the office, Calvin is optimistic because he loves working here.

“I love this district and the region that we serve and our students that we serve,” Calvin said. “It’s a dream job for me.”

10 Things you didn’t know about Brent Calvin:

Favorite ice cream: rocky road.

Favorite band: Pearl Jam.

Favorite song: “Black” by Pearl Jam.

Favorite movie: ‘Forrest Gump.’

Favorite television show: ‘Sportscenter.’

Height: 6’8″

Dream car: 1985 Chevy Blazer.

Favorite book: ‘Good to Great’ by Jim Collins.

Favorite vacation spot: Maui.

Mountains or oceans: oceans.