• Last day to drop full term classes with a refund and no 'W' is Jan. 29

C.H.A.P. Preview

Michael Taber

The Cultural and Historical Awareness Program at the College of Sequoias has released it’s spring 2018 semester schedule. The program invites speakers and performers to expose COS students and the community to a variety of cultural and intellectual topics. C.H.A.P. events are free to all. Donations are welcomed and encourage to sustain C.H.A.P. events.

The speaker series will kick off March 15 with a premiere screening of The Last Brown Beret which is being co-presented with the Tulare County League of Mexican-American Women. The screening will start at 7 p.m. in the COS Visalia Ponderosa Lecture Hall.

On March 22, Dr. Chris Zepeda-Milan, a UC Berkeley Professor will be speaking on the topic of Latino Mass Mobilization: Immigration, Racialization, and Activism. Dr.Zepeda-Milan is a political scientist who focuses on race and ethnic politics.The event will start at 7 p.m. at the COS Visalia Ponderosa Lecture Hall.

On April 5 COS will host co-author Boston College professor Dr. Marc Landy who will be discussing his Presidential Greatness. The book is an in-depth look at five presidents that exhibit great leadership abilities. The lecture will begin at 7 p.m. at the COS Visalia Ponderosa Lecture Hall.

The C.H.A.P. speaker series will wrap up on April 18 with poet and University of Texas Asst. Professor Sasha Pimentel. She will be talking about her book For Want Of Water. Pimentel won the American Book Award for her book which is described as searing verses set on the Mexican border about war and addiction.The event will begin at 7 p.m. at the COS Visalia Ponderosa Lecture Hall.