Devin Nunez and COS Connection

Devin Nunez and COS Connection

Kason Clark

Scandals and controversy plague Trump’s administration and Devin Nunes is now a public figure because of his involvement in it. Despite this massive coverage, some students and faculty believe that most COS students are not aware that Nunes is a local and alumni of our school. Political science professor Joe Enea believes that community college students, including our own, are not interested in politics in this time of their lives.

“They are not attuned to the political scene in their early college years,” Enea said.

In his classes, Enea talks about Nunes with his students. Some of his students have read about Nunes in the news, but they were not aware of the local connection to him. He believes that most students either do not know who Nunes is or that he represents this district.

Enea believes that the curriculum in California schools is part of the reason why civics classes have been taken out of middle and high schools. This results in students not learning about the California constitution as early as they should have. He started learning about the American Revolution, Articles of Confederation and other similar topics when he was in 5th and 6th grade. He said that not all schools do this, but that it has become a trend in California schools.

Student Senate president Cheyne Strawn shares Enea’s sentiment that COS students do not know as much about Nunes as they should. He thinks Nunes’ has become higher-profile in light of of recent news, but not enough for people outside of maybe political science and other social sciences classes to recognize him. He believes that students do not follow national news and take part in civics at COS is because that’s not their concern right now.

“They’re focused on school but not focused on civic engagement,” Strawn said.

Members of both the College Republicans and Young Democrats believe that COS students know Nunes by name but not that he represents our district. Ivan Young, the vice president of the Young Democrats, knows students who do not focus too much on the news. He believes that students do not know more about him because they do not want to get involved with politics and there is too much information to look through.

“Currently, most people, students included, have a distrust of politicians or distaste of politics in general,” Young said. “Even if you decide you want to learn more, which sometimes students are too busy to do, sometimes just sorting through all the information probably just feels like a hassle.”

College Republicans President Chris Casillas also thinks that COS students know Nunes by name but are not informed on his local connections. He believes that students have other concerns that keep them away from politics.

“I’m assuming just that a lot of people are busy with their own lives,” Casillas said. “They’re getting into college, they’re working, they got jobs.”

In order for students to be informed and involved with politics, Enea believes that students need to know they have access to Nunes’ office since he has one in Visalia. He also encourages students to join clubs or work for campaigns because he thinks it will benefit them.

Both Young and Casillas believe students should join clubs to get involved in the political process. They also push students to follow the news and do research. Young thinks students should not be afraid to discuss issues with people of different ideologies and that they should not dismiss opinions because they are not their own.

Strawn urges students to attend Board of Trustees meetings in order to get involved in civic activity. That way, they will learn about issues about COS and get to have a say in relevant matters.

Nunes is a member of the U.S. House of Representatives and represents California’s 22nd congressional district. This district includes Visalia, Tulare, Clovis and eastern Fresno. He has served in this office since 2013, but served as the representative for the 21st district from 2003 to 2013 when that district covered all of Tulare County.

Enea believes it is necessary for COS students to be informed on Nunes and other politicians.

“Our students need to know who these people are,” Enea said.