• Last day to drop full term classes with a refund and no 'W' is Jan. 29

Women’s Basketball Reach Quarterfinals

Kyle Mack

Kyle Mack

The COS Giants Women’s basketball team season came to an end on Thursday, March 8 when they fell to the Mt. San Jacinto Eagles of Ventura by a final score of 65-46. It was the quarterfinals round to name the new State Champion for the California Community College Athletic Association. (CCCAA)

The Giants have won the conference championship three out of the last four years. This season, they won the Central Valley Conference title along with Merced College and Fresno City College. After reaching the State Championship tournament last season, the Giants led by Head Coach Ray Alvarado, won their first two playoff games this season, to earn their spot to once again play towards a state championship.

The Giants first game of the playoffs was a home game against San Jose City College Jaguars. This game was the second round of the regional final. The Giants came out on top by a final score of 74-47. Shae Sanchez led the team with 15 points, including dropping four 3-pointers. Dejanee Gill led the team in rebounds with 9.

Micah Sasson of the Giants gave her thoughts on the game to staff reporter Dominic Duarte.

“I felt good about it. I think we had some very good moments. Very defensive stops and we hit some big shots so I’m proud,” said Sasson.

Head Coach Ray Alvarado also gave his thoughts on being able to pull away in the second half towards the victory to staff reporter Dominic Duarte.

“I think just rhythm, timing and getting settled in the game,” Coach Alvarado said. “We played everybody in the first half, that made it a little inconsistent in their play. Them settling down was key,” said Coach Alvarado.

The next game for the Giants was at home as they hosted the Diablo Valley Vikings in the regional final matchup. The game was tied with a score of 28-28 at halftime but, the Giants were able pull away with the win as Zharia McCollum had a big game for the Giants with a double-double. McCollum led the team in both points and rebounds with 24 points and 12 rebounds. Shae Sanchez passing game resulted in a team high 5 assists.

The Giants then went on the road to Ventura College for the first round of the state championships after winning the Regional final. The Giants fought hard but the Mt. San Jacinto Eagles came out with the victory, ending the season for the Giants and after coming short at a chance for a state championship.

The Giants were undefeated at home this season and finished the season with a record of 28 wins to go along with 4 losses.