Visalia Regal hosting Oscar film festival

Kason Clark

The Oscars come to Visalia later this month as Regal Visalia Stadium 10 hosts the 2018 Best Picture Film Festival. The theater will play several marathons of all nine Best Picture nominees starting Feb. 23 and ending on March 4.

The marathon will include historical dramas ‘Darkest Hour’ and ‘The Post,’ war film ‘Dunkirk,’ coming-of-age dramas ‘Lady Bird’ and ‘Call Me by Your Name,’ fantasy film ‘The Shape of Water,’ dark comedy ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,’ psychological thriller ‘Get Out,’ and drama ‘Phantom Thread.’

‘Darkest Hour’ received a nomination for Best Actor for Gary Oldman’s portrayal of Winston Churchill and ‘The Post’ received one for Best Actress for Meryl Streep’s performance. ‘Call Me by Your Name’ and ‘Lady Bird’ also saw their respective leads, Timothee Chalamet and Saoirse Ronan, receive nominations for their performances. Laura Metcalf also received a nomination for Best Supporting Actress in ‘Lady Bird.’

Sally Hawkins received an Oscar nomination for her performance in ‘The Shape of Water,’ as well as her supporting cast members, Richard Jenkins and Octavia Spencer. ‘Get Out’ lead Daniel Kaluuya received a nomination for his performance while Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson all received nominations for their performances in ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.’ Lesley Manville received a nomination for her supporting turn in ‘Phantom Thread,’ as well the film’s lead Daniel Day-Lewis in his final performance.

The series pass costs $35 and is only available to purchase through the Regal Mobile App. However, tickets will be available for single showings. The Regal theater is in downtown Visalia at 120 S. Bridge St.