• Last day to drop full term classes with a refund and no 'W' is Jan. 29

Review: ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ offers great characters and unpredictable story

Kason Clark

Mildred Hayes tries to persuade the local police to find her daughter’s killer by setting up several billboards criticizing the police in ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.’ This film stars Frances McDormand (‘Fargo’), Woody Harrelson (‘War for the Planet of the Apes’) and Sam Rockwell (‘Moon’) and was directed by Martin McDonagh (‘Seven Psychopaths’). In this film, Mildred (McDormand) faces backlash from her town for setting up the billboards and sets off a chain of events that affect everyone involved.

The cast gave fantastic performances in this film. McDormand commanded the screen with her performance. Despite her characters sometimes committing unethical acts, McDormand kept the character likable and easy to care about. Harrelson and Rockwell both gave fantastic performances as the police officers. They made their characters believable and sold their dialogue. They also made their characters sympathetic despite serving as the “antagonists” of the film. Some of the supporting cast members such as Abbie Cornish and Samara Weaving did not do a great job but they were not in the film that much to drag the film down with them.Who are those supporting cast members

The actors would not have been able to give these great performances if it werent for McDonagh’s script. He gave them so much to work with because he created compelling and complex characters. No character was perfect in this film and no character was completely unlikable either. As the film progressed, so did the characters and it made it easy to get invested in what was going to happen next. The film also contained surprises and unpredictability.

McDonagh directed this film well. He created beautiful shots throughout the film that portrayed meaning. He chose the right shots for every scene, he created tensions and emotions. His close ups allowed the actors to express their thoughts and emotions and allowed viewers to share those feelings. He pulled great performances from his actors and he knew exactly what he wanted from them.

An aspect of this film that could turn off some people was the dialogue and actions of characters. The film has an “in your face” attitude and lacked the subtlety that some people might prefer. Compared to the dialogue of other Oscar films this year, such as ‘Lady Bird’ and ‘Call Me by Your Name,’ the dialogue in hear sounded a little over the top. However, this was a different kind of film. This film fell more in line with other dark comedy-dramas such as ‘Seven Psychopaths’ and ‘The Wolf of Wall Street.’

This film offered great characters and an unpredictable story that was hard not to get wrapped up in. The great cast and director created one of the best films of the year. ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ earned: