Giants fall to the Rustlers in Home Opener

Kyle Mack

Giants baseball kicked off their home opener against the Golden West College Rustlers of Huntington Beach on Thursday, February 1st. It was the first of a three game home tournament and ended up being a losing effort has the Rustlers topped the Giants 10-9.

First pitch was at 2:07 p.m. with the gametime weather being 67 degrees. The Giant’s basketball head coach threw out the ceremonial first pitch.

The Giants broke the game open by scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 3rd inning on two hits and an error committed by Golden West.

The biggest at bat of the game for the Giants was when second baseman Max Coyt drilled a line drive over the left field fence for a 2-run home run. This opened up the lead for the Giants. This was the first home run for the Giants on the season so far.

“It felt nice to hit the ball hard and barrel up the ball and let it fly through the air,” said Coyt after his big game.

A big play of the game occured when the Rustlers Nelson Padilla hit the ball into right center field when Rodolfo Vasquez fielded the ball and teamed up with the cutoff man to gun down Padilla as he was sliding into second trying to reach a double for the out.

The game was a hard fought battle but Golden Valley ended up overcoming with the victory late as they were able to hold off the Giants in the 9th inning. The final score was the Rustlers on top 10-9.

“It’s a little frustrating. We did some good things, we did some things that hurt us,” said head coach Jody Allen.

“It’s still early in the year. You want to get to the point to where you play good baseball. If you score nine runs, you should probably win a baseball game,” said Coach Allen.

The Giants will turn their focus to the Mission Saints and Hartnell College Panthers for the next games of the tournament.