• Last day to drop full term classes with a refund and no 'W' is Jan. 29

How to Prevent the Flu

Arlyn Mendoza

Arlyn Mendoza

Jessenia Orozco

Catching a sickness can be awful and stressful, let alone missing classes and important information. With the Influenza epidemic recently hitting Tulare County, students are frantically trying to find ways to prevent themselves from getting sick.

The on-campus COS Health Center is offering free flu shots. Additionally, campus nurse Cynthia Norvall offers tips and advice to students in preventing the flu.

“For students wondering how to prevent themselves from getting sick,” Norvall said, “We usually advise them to wash their hands frequently, and if they’re coughing they should come to the health center to get a mask to decrease the chances of getting other students sick.”

Norvall revealed the amount of Influenza-diagnosed students on campus.

“We have actually not seen anyone walking in revealing any symptoms of Influenza or illnesses recently,” Norvall said, “However if we see students displaying any respiratory problems, we usually direct them to a doctor and tell them to stay home.”

Nurse Norvall claimed that the main reason why it is so hard for college students to accept staying home is due to the concern of missing classes or information, and getting behind. She asserted that if students want a medical evaluation, they could come to the health center and be assessed with a course of action.

“The best we can do is give them a sheet with the recommended medications or a visit to the doctor,” Norvall said, “Although, it is not a note which can excuse a student from school or otherwise. If they want something similar to that, they can get it from their own personal doctor.”

Nurse Norvall tells students that if they are feeling any symptoms related to Influenza, they should seek medical attention promptly. If students are also suspecting any indications of the flu or illness, Nurse Norvall recommends Tamiflu (a prescribed medication that treats flu-related symptoms for the first 48 hours of suspicion). The COS Health Center is currently offering free flu shots to students who would like to fight the flu.

“We are more than willing to help students stay healthy during this flu season,” said Norvall.