Shooting Yosemite

On the way up to Yosemite--this was also my first time venturing to the national park, no less--I had been stricken with unrelenting motion sickness. The serpentine road (and the nausea that followed) had made it quite challenging to appreciate the beauty I was winding around along the way with my classmates and instructor. Just as I thought this entire experience could be potentially soiled by unfortunate circumstance... there it was. I witnessed the golden rays of the sun kissing the southeastern face of

On the way up to Yosemite--this was also my first time venturing to the national park, no less--I had been stricken with unrelenting motion sickness. The serpentine road (and the nausea that followed) had made it quite challenging to appreciate the beauty I was winding around along the way with my classmates and instructor. Just as I thought this entire experience could be potentially soiled by unfortunate circumstance... there it was. I witnessed the golden rays of the sun kissing the southeastern face of "El Capitan" and my heart was full. The sheer grace of the sight alone was more than enough to distract me from my temporary illness. As we delved deeper into the park sprawling past the lapping streams and roaring falls I was replenished further, and I felt as if I could endure that drive one-hundred times over if it meant humbling myself to such awe again. The ancient, lush forestry, the crystal-clear waters, the paragon like presence of the mountains and their stoic spires... my first trek to Yosemite National Park was certainly an indelible and ethereal experience.​​​

Tracy H. McKibbin, Special Correspondent

On Nov. 29, several photo students (Phil, Phoenix, Juanita and Tracey) left early on a cold morning from COS to shoot the unforgettable Yosemite National Park.

The drive to the park was full of good conversation, most of which revolved around photography, ranging from skill to business and marketing.

We arrived at Tunnel View to meet up with a student who had driven up the night before. The view was amazing and of course we were camera ready and we jumped right in and started  photographing the beautiful Yosemite Valley.

One of the greatest things about this Yosemite Trip was being able to utilize all of the skills we had learned over the semester. An example of that would be the opportunity to photograph waterfalls. It takes very specific settings in manual mode to captured the water; either sharp and crisp, or soft and sweeping.

Some of the other sites we photographed were Bridal Veil Falls,  Yosemite Falls,  El Capitan,  Half Dome  and a couple other bridges with cascading waterfalls.

We only stopped one time during three days and that was for a short lunch at a nearby deli.

It was quite an adventurous day and very enjoyable to be accompanied by other serious photographers. What was truly priceless was to have Gary, the professor of the Intro to Digital Photography.  We had already learned so much in class, but too be able to put that knowledge to use in the field, and to have Gary there to guide and support us was truly amazing.

I think I can speak for those who went on this Yosemite Trip, that it was an amazing day and each of us learned so much and really solidified the knowledge we already had from a semester with a great teacher.

If you are interested in photography as a profession, or just as a hobby, I would highly recommend the intro to Digital Photography with Gary Kazanjian, you won’t be disappointed.