• Last day to drop full term classes with a refund and no 'W' is Jan. 29

Giants Win Shootout Over Diablo Valley

Giants wide receiver Philip Adams after scoring his third touchdown of the game.

Louie Vale

Louie Vale

Sean Baize

A high-scoring game between the COS Giants and Diablo Valley Vikings ended with the Giants winning 40-35. The night started off great for the Giants football team with a 45 yard touchdown pass from quarterback Nolan Leforge to wide receiver Philip Adams. An interception return by Giants defensive back Ricky Scott and a Vikings fumble returned for a touchdown resulted in a COS 27-7 lead at halftime.

The second half started with an injured player for Diablo Valley needing an ambulance. The long pause in play slowed the momentum of the Giants and the Vikings took over when play resumed. Vikings quarterback Matt Vitale caught passed two touchdowns in the third quarter and one to start the fourth, bringing the Vikings ahead 28-27.

Halfway through the fourth quarter, Leforge got the Giants rolling again with a 54 yard touchdown pass to Adams, putting the Giants back on top 34-28. The Vikings struck back when a Leforge fumble was returned for a Vikings touchdown and taking a 35-34 lead with 5:54 remaining in the game. On the next drive, Leforge and the Giants offense drove down the field on a 5-play, 75-yard drive that lasted 3 minutes. Leforge finished the drive with another 52 yard touchdown pass to Adams to go back ahead 40-35, with 2:54 left in the game.

It was not over as the Vikings drove the length of the field to the Giants 8 yard line with 45 seconds left in the game. On fourth down and three, the Vikings’ pass was broken up by linebacker Ricky Scott and strong safety Frank Ngalamulume in the middle of the endzone to preserve the 40-35 win for COS.

The win improved the Giants’ record 2-1 and dropped the Vikings’ record to 1-2.

For the Giants, Leforge completed 17 of 28 passes for 312 yards and 4 touchdowns and Adams caught 6 receptions for 240 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Next up for the Giants is an away game at Sierra College on Saturday at 1:00pm