• Final Drop Date for Classes is Oct. 20

The Summer’s Most Anticipated FIlms

Joel Barba

There are a lot of films coming out this summer: blockbusters and the latest super hero flick, but those aren’t the films I’m looking forward to.

It Comes at Night (2017), a horror film directed by Trey Edward Shults, is slated for a theatrical release for June 9. The studio company A24 has a two picture deal with Shults and so far this looks really good. There has been this new wave of psychological/horror films recently that I really dig, The Witch (2015), Ex Machina (2014), It Follows (2014) and Under the Skin (2013).

The film stars Joel Edgerton (Warrior, 2011) and Riley Keough (American Honey, 2016) and revolves around a family secluded in a house deep into the woods trying to survive against an unknown evil terrorizing the world.

The film looks like it has what it takes to gain that cult-following whether it becomes successful or not at the box office.

A Ghost Story (2017) is a drama film directed by David Lowery and to be released July 7. I find it interesting that Lowery directed Disney’s Pete’s Dragon (2017); maybe as a way to finance these personal projects. Filmmakers who experiment in such a wide variety of genres can be interesting.

Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea, 2016) and Rooney Mara (Carol, 2015) star in this film and though at first glance this film looks like a somewhat horror film it is actually a drama film about a recently deceased husband (Affleck) who tries to reconnect with his bereft wife (Mara).

Lowery had worked with Affleck and Mara previously in Ain’t Them Body Saints (2013). This film garnered praise earlier at this year’s Sundance Film Festival in Utah.

The film has a sort of arthouse-esque element with the ghost having a classic white sheet look.

I’m eager to see these films, especially when I saw the creatively ominous and bare movie posters that are being advertised on the internet and in theaters.

Be on the lookout for these two films coming out over the summer this year.