• Final Drop Date for Classes is Oct. 20

May Film, TV & Video Games Preview

Kason Clark

Movies:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Is the sequel to 2014’s sic-fi superhero hit. Star Lord (Chris Pratt) and the rest of the guardians travel through the cosmos searching for the truth of Star Lord’s parentage. On the way, they’ll kick ass and listen to some sweet 70’s tunes. This film also stars Kurt Russel (The Thing), Zoe Saldana (Avatar), and Dave Bautista (Spectre) and is directed by James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy). Opens nationwide May 5th.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword: In this fantasy adventure film, Arthur (Charlie Hunnam) must defeat the evil Vortigern (Jude Law) in order to fulfill his destiny in becoming the king of England. This film also stars Djimon Hounsou (Gladiator), Aidan Gillen (Game of Thrones) and Eric Bana (Munich) and is directed by Guy Ritchie (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels). Opens nationwide May 12th.

Alien: Covenant: In this sci-fi sequel to Prometheus and prequel to the Alien films, the crew of the ship Covenant land on a new plant that they believe to be paradise but quickly discover it is home to dangerous creatures. This film stars Katherine Waterston (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them), Michael Fassbender (X-Men: Days of Future Past), and Danny McBride (This is the End) and is directed by Ridley Scott (Alien). Opens nationwide May 12th.

Baywatch: This action-comedy and reboot of the popular 80s television show sees two mismatched lifeguards work together in order to stop a drug lord’s operations around their beach. This film stars Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (Fate of the Furious), Zac Efron (Neighbors), and Alexandra Daddario (Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters) and is directed by Seth Gordon (Horrible Bosses). Opens nationwide May 25th.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: The fifth installment in the action-adventure film series sees Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) be pursued by his old nemesis Armando Salazar (Javier Bardem). This film also stars Geoffrey Rush (The King’s Speech), Brenton Thwaites (Oculus), and Kaya Scodelario (Moon) and is directed by Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg (Kon-Tiki). Opens nationwide May 25th.

Television:

Sense8: The second season of this sci-fi drama continues the journey of the eight strangers around the world who are all emotionally and mentally connected to each other. This season stars Toby Onwumere, Doona Bae, and Brian J. Smith. Every episode of the second season will be available on Netflix at 12:00 a.m. on May 5th.

Master of None: The second season of this comedy-drama will see Dev Shah (Aziz Ansari) continue to go through his life and the troubles that come along with it. This season also stars Noel Wells, Eric Wareheim, and Kelvin Yu. Every episode of the second season will be available on Netflix at 12:00 a.m. on May 12th.

12 Monkeys: In the third and penultimate season of this sci-fi series based on the movie of the same name, James Cole (Aaron Stanford) travels through time in order to complete his goal of preventing a plague that will wipe out most of the human species in the future. This season also stars Amanda Schull and Kirk Acevedo. It will premiere on the Scfy channel at 8:00 p.m. on Friday, May 19th.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: This Emmy-nominated sitcom returns for its third season that sees Kimmy Schmidt (Ellie Kemper) continue to adjust to life in New York City after being in an underground cult for 15 years. This show also stars Carol Kane, Tituss Burgess, and Jane Krakowski. All the episodes for this upcoming season will be available on Netflix at 12:00 a.m. on May 19th.

Twin Peaks: The return of this supernatural mystery drama will see FBI Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) return to the town of Twin Peaks for a new crime to solve. This limited series will also star Micael Cera, Laura Dern, and Naomi Watts. It will premiere on Showtime at 9 p.m. on Sunday, May 21st.

Bloodline: In the third and final season of this thriller-drama, John (Kyle Chandler) and the rest of the Rayburn family try to keep their family secrets from being discovered. This series also stars Linda Cardellini, Norbert Leo Butz, and Sissy Spacek. The entire season will be available on Netflix at midnight on May 26th.

House of Cards: The fifth season of this political drama sees President Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey) and his wife, Claire (Robin Wright) navigate the difficulties of the presidency and try to win reelection. This season also stars Michael Kelly, Joel Kinnaman, and Patricia Clarkson. This season will be available for binging on Netflix at midnight on May 30th.

Video Games:

Prey: This action-adventure sci-fi game will reboot the 2006 game Prey and will star a new protagonist, Morgan Yu, who will try to survive on an abandoned space station infested with hostile aliens. In the game, the player can pick up alien powers, experience zero-gravity sequences, and make decisions that can result in multiple endings. This reboot is being developed by Arkane Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It will be released worldwide May 5th on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One

Injustice 2: This fighting game and sequel to the 2013’s Injustice: Gods Among Us will allow gamers to play as their favorite DC characters and fight others. New characters to the series that will be introduced in this game include Captain Cold, Supergirl, Braniac, Gorilla Grodd, and Robin. This game is being developed by NetherRealm Studios and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It will be released May 16th on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Friday the 13th: The Game: This survival horror game is based on the popular film franchise of the same name. This game will pit seven players against one player who controls Jason Vorhees. The game is being developed by Gun Media and IllFonic and published by Gun Media. It will be released worldwide May 26th on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew: This virtual reality action-adventure game is based on the popular franchise and will allow players to control a starship. Up to four players can work together, with each one filling a different role on the ship such as the captain or tactical officer. It is being developed by Red Storm Entertainment and published by Ubisoft. It will be released worldwide May 30th on the PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows.

Music:

Linkin Park: The American rock band will release their new album One More Light on May 19th. This will be Linkin Park’s 7th studio album and will contain new singles such as “Heavy” and “Good Goodbye” and will feature collaborations with Kiiara, Pusha T, and Stormzy.

Rascal Flatts: The American country band will be releasing their new album Back to Us on May 19th. This will be their 10th album and will have their new single “Yours If You Want It” as its lead single.

Papa Roach: This rock band will release their new album Crooked Teeth on May 19th. Their 9th album will include singles such as “Help” and will feature collaborations with Machine Gun Kelly and Skylar Grey.

Lil Yachty: The popular American rapper will release his debut studio album Teenage Emotions on May 26th. His debut album will include singles such as “Peek a Boo” and “Harley” and will include collaborations with Diplo, Sonyae Elise, and YG.