• Priority registration for Spring 2018 semester begins Nov. 6

Visalia Needs to Stop Ignoring Obscure Films

Joel Barba

I’ve just seen T2: Trainspotting (2017) and it was pretty good, but the trek I had to take to get there was unforgiving. The Regal Theatres here in Visalia weren’t and still aren’t playing T2 and upon looking online I found that the Edwards Fresno Stadium was playing it. So I asked my friend if he wanted to go and so we did.

Visalia’s options for movies are pretty thin for moviegoers: Manchester by the Sea (2016) never came, Nocturnal Animals (2016) never did either. The only thing we got was Amadeus (1984) at the Fox Theatre, but even then the presentation is a bit lacking and cringey from what I saw in one of their retro movie events. Fresno is currently screening Terrence Malick’s Song to Song (2017) which either might screen once in the mall theatre or never.

Get Out (2017) has been playing for two months which is great in my opinion but only because it keeps selling tickets and that can get tiresome.

I understand that the theaters here only want to screen movies that will sell tickets, but when it’s just generic animated films like The Boss Baby (2017) and Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017), the latest religious flick at the mall, blockbusters like Power Rangers (2017) and CHIPS (2017), I think I’d rather go for no theater at all.