• Final Drop Date for Classes is Oct. 20

Art Joven’s no-hitter through six innings gives the Giants a series victory

Kason Clark

The Giants got it going early at home with a 9-4 victory over Cerro Coso on Saturday.

COS got the bats started in the first inning when Wyatt Tilley led off with a double. After Gabe Corona hit a single, Isiah Espinoza hit a single out to right field to drive home Tilley for the run.

Zac Hernandez hit a double that drove in Corona for the run. A sac-fly from Rudy Vasquez drove in Espinosa to give the Giants a 3-0 lead.

The score remained unchanged until the bottom of the fourth inning when Dakota Stilson hit a single that drove in Vasquez for a run.

The Giants added four more runs with Tyler Morgan capping off the inning with a 3-run home run to right field.

Giants’ starting pitcher Art Joven pitched 6 innings. He did not give up any hits, while walking 4 runners, and hitting one by pitch.

The Coyotes got their first hit of the game in the 7th inning after Joven was pulled and Troy Stainbrook was put in the game.

The Coyotes didn’t score until the eighth inning when Michael Rouse hit a double that drove in Cole Heavilin and Domonique Hernandez.

Cerro Coso scored another two runs in the ninth when Brycin Hernandez and Domonique Hernandez scored due to a pair of Giant errors.

Troy Stainbrook eventually struck out Stephen Hillis to secure the victory for COS.

Giants pitcher Joven earned the win while Coyotes pitcher Chad Watkins got the loss, giving up seven earned runs.

Stainbrook earned the save as he pitched the final three innings of the game for the Giants.