• Priority registration for Spring 2018 semester begins Nov. 6

School WiFi Slowing Down Students

Andrew Urena

A growing number of COS students are encountering problems with the public school WiFi.

Dean of Technology Services Tim Hollabaugh believes the slow WiFi is due to the number of access points in the school.

“Because we don’t have as many devices [access points] that we need,” Hollabaugh said. “Every access point can handle up to 20 or 30 people connecting to it. After that it starts to degrade because of more traffic.”

More traffic indeed. Hollabaugh states that the number of accumulative students using the COS WiFi reached 4,900 on the first day of school.

“We have 126 existing access points,” Hollabaugh said.

More of these access points need to be placed to accommodate the rising number of students, but Hollabaugh was having trouble finding the correct places to put them.

“We can buy them all day long,” Hollabaugh said. “But where do we put them?”

To resolve that issue, a technology company Veritas came to the school during the summer and pinpointed where access points needed to be. Veritas found that there needed to be an additional 214.

Every access point costs over $1,500 to purchase and install. Older buildings like the John Muir and Sequoia raise more difficulty in the installation process with older wiring and architecture.

Hollabaugh plans to begin installing the needed access points this September, in what looks to be the start of a long process.

“It will take around two years to get it done,” Hollabaugh said.